Bylaws in the City of Calgary require the waste to be separately collected and stored as garbage, mixed recycling, and organic materials.
Do you know how to separate your waste into different categories?
Here is a list of all the things that fall under the Organic materials category:
- Meat and bones
- Fruits and vegetables (including the peels)
- Eggshells, milk, and dairy products
- Bread and baked goods
- Plate scrapings
- Coffee and tea grounds (including the filters)
Things that DO NOT belong to the Organic materials category:
- Packaging material
- Pressurized containers
- Plastic Strapping
- Plastic bags
Things that belong to the Recyclables category
- Pop bags
- Plastic film
- Paper (shredded paper, newspapers, etc…)
- Dairy and juice containers
- Cardboard and boxboard (flattened)
- Metal cans (tin and aluminum)
- Plastic bottles and containers (please remove the caps)
To help the recycling process, make sure to wash your containers and remove the caps.
Things that DO NOT belong in the Recyclables category
- Polystyrene foam
- Plastic packaging (bowls, cutlery, and straws)
- Facial tissue.